Vibration threshold, ULNT1, Diabetes mellitus
Background: Patients withType II diabetes mellitus are showed to affect the sensory, reflex and motor systems in distal extremities. Studies have examined the mechanosensitivity and vibration threshold (VT) in type II diabetes mellitus patients in the lower limb and compared it with normal individuals. There is scanty literature available in comparison of the VTin the upper limb in type II diabetes mellitus patients with non-diabetic individuals.
Methods: Thirty type II diabetic individuals (age - 55.60 ± 9.79 years)and 30 asymptomatic individuals (age - 53.43±9.96) without diabetes mellitus participated in the study. Tester at the baseline for both the groups using a bioesthesiometer measured VT. Bioesthesiometer is capable of deriving a vibration of 100 Hz. Following VTevaluation at the baseline, the tester performed the ULNT1 for all the subjects. During the sequence of the ULNT1, VTwas measured at initial onset of pain (termed as P1) and short of maximum pain (P2) as experienced by the patient.
Results:There was a statistical significant difference inVTbetween diabetic and non-diabetic group subjects. VTwas raised in the diabetic group at all the three levelsof evaluation (baseline, P1 and P2) compared to the non-diabetic group with a p value < 0.001.
Conclusion: VT of the upper limb is higher in individuals with type II diabetes mellitus as compared to non-diabetic individuals.
- Periféricas ND, Morfométrica UVG. (2010). Diabetic peripheral neuropathies: a morphometric overview. Int. j. morphol. 28(1), 51–64.
- POP-BUSUI R, Sullivan K, Feldman E. (2007). Diabetes and the Nervous System. Neurology and General Medicine. 383–408.
- Ranzani R, Abraham A, Chakravarthy R, Lakshmi S. (2012). Indigenous uncoated and hydroxyapatite coated commercially pure titanium foils for guided bone regeneration in defect sites of implants–an in vitro study. ISSN 0975-5241 IC Value of Journal: 4.18. 4(17), 112.
- Murinson BB, Chaudhry V. (2014). Metabolic and endocrine neuropathies. Neuromuscular Disorders in Clinical Practice: Springer; 693–702. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-6567-6_33
- Behnam-Rassouli M, Ghayour M, Ghayour N. (2010). Microvascular complications of diabetes. J. Biol. Sci. 10, 411–423. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2010.411.423
- Walsh MT. (2005). Upper limb neural tension testing and mobilization: fact, fiction, and a practical approach. J. Hand Ther. 18(2), 241–258. https://doi.org/10.1197/j.jht.2005.02.010
- McLaren N. An investigation into normative responses for the upper limb neurodynamic test with radial nerve bias 2013.
- Shacklock M. Clinical neurodynamics: a new system of musculoskeletal treatment: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2005.
- Laursen LH, Jepsen JR, Sjøgaard G. (2006). Vibrotactile sense in patients with different upper limb disorders compared with a control group. Int. Arch. Occup. Environ. Health. 79(7), 593–601. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-006-0094-7
- Van Deursen R, Simoneau GG. (1999). Foot and ankle sensory neuropathy, proprioception, and postural stability. J. Orthop. Sports Phys. Ther. 29(12), 718– 726. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.19220.127.116.118
- Boyd BS, Wanek L, Gray AT, Topp KS. (2010). Mechanosensitivity during lower extremity neurodynamic testing is diminished in individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and peripheral neuropathy: a cross sectional study. BMC Neurol. 10(1),75. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-10-75
- Ridehalgh C, Greening J, Petty NJ. (2005). Effect of straight leg raise examination and treatment on vibration thresholds in the lower limb: a pilot study in asymptomatic subjects. Man Ther. 10(2), 136–143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2004.08.008
- Mountcastle VB. (1967). The problem of sensing and the neural coding of sensory events. The neurosciences. 1, 393–408.
- Cameron N, Eaton S, Cotter M, Tesfaye S. (2001). Vascular factors and metabolic interactions in the pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy. Diabetologia. 44(11), 1973–1988. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001250100001
- Suzuki C, Ozaki I, Tanosaki M, Baba M. (2000). Peripheral and central conduction abnormalities in diabetes mellitus. J. Peripher. Nerv. Syst. 5(3), 176–176.https:// doi.org/10.1046/j.1529-8027.2000abstracts-26.x
- Estrella JS, Nelson RN, Sturges B, et al. (2008). Endoneurial microvascular pathology in feline diabetic neuropathy. Microvasc. Res. 75(3), 403-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mvr.2007.12.002
- Gelber DA, Pfeifer MA, Broadstone VL, et al. (1995). Components of variance for vibratory and thermal threshold testing in normal and diabetic subjects. J. Diabetes Complications. 9(3), 170–176. https://doi.org/10.1016/1056-8727(94)00042-M