Background: Tuberculosis is a global health problem and leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the world. Correct diagnosis of tuberculosis is the main challenge for control of tuberculosis. World health organization has prioritized improving diagnostic guidelines and tests for TB diagnosis. Priority has been given for development of new Tuberculosis diagnostic methods. But diagnosis of Tuberculosis highly affected by quality specimen collected which has been given less attention. The aim of this is to assess Yielding accuracy of morning and spot sputum samples for diagnosis Mycobacterium tuberculosis using Gene Xpert Mycobacterium Tuberculosis (MTB)/Rifampicin Resistance (RIF).
Methodology: Cross sectional study was conducted and convenient sampling technique used to select participants. Checklists used to collect the data from April 1 to May 30, 2018 G.C. A total of two hundred twenty two (222) sputum samples from 111 suspected tuberculosis patients were analyzed using Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Assay. SPSS version 20 was used for statistical analysis. Results: From 111 TB suspected patients, 55.9% were male and the rest of 44.1% was female. In terms of sample quality, 81.1% morning sputum samples and 79.3% spot sputum samples were had good sample quality. The outcomes of the research show an increase in odds value in sputum quality and sputum consistency for TB diagnosis. But, the relation is not significant association
with TB positivity.
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, the diagnosis of TB using spot sputum samples as well as using morning sputum samples is almost similar for detection of MTB by Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Assay. Physical Quality of sputum sample or consistency is not association with TB positivity using Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Assay.
Results: From 111 TB suspected patients, 55.9% were male and the rest of 44.1% was female. In terms of sample quality, 81.1% morning sputum samples and 79.3% spot sputum samples were had good sample quality. The outcomes of the research shows an increase in odds value in sputum quality and sputum consistency for TB diagnosis. But, the relation is not significant association with TB positivity.
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, the diagnosis of TB using spot sputum samples as well as using morning sputum samples is almost similar for the detection of MTB by Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Assay. Physical Quality of sputum sample or consistency is not associated with TB positivity using Gene Xpert MTB/RIF Assay.
Amanda, J., Meyer, B., Collins, A., William, W., Samuel, K., Achilles, K., et al., (2017). Sputum quality and diagnostic performance of Gene Xpert MTB/RIF among smear negative adults with presumed tuberculosis in Uganda. Journal pone, 12(7), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0180572
Biruk, M., Yimam, B., Abrha, H., Biruk, S., & Amdie, F., Z. (2016). Treatment outcome of tuberculosis and associated Factors in an Ethiopian university hospitals. Advances in Public Health, 2016, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/8504629
Charles, P., Davis, C., Gail, W., David, N., & Milton, R. (2000). Baron’s Medical Microbiology. 4th edition.
Chemhuru, M., Duka, M., Nanan-n’zeth, K., J., B., Simons, S., Broucke, S., V., D., Fajardo, E. and Bygrave, H. (2013). MDδ3 Implementation of Xpert MTB/REF Assay in Buhera District, Zimbabwe. DRTB guidelines: Zimbabwe; WHO. Retrieved from: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ec0a/76f8fe180f7092be0a1e8f102f0dd3055e57.pdf?_ga=2.2999730.32023939.1594883755-842817547.1594883755
Daniel, D. (2014). Comparative performance between Xpert MTB/RIF assay, led fluorescence microscopy, and ZN light microscopy for detection of mycobacterium tuberculosis in sputum samples in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Ethiopian Public Health Institute, the 2nd BSC Based EPHI’s Strategic Management Plan, 2015/16 to 2019/20. Retrieved from: http://repository.iifphc.org/bitstream/handle/123456789/131/EPHI_2nd_SPM.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
FMOH. (2014). Evaluating the National Tuberculosis Control Program Challenges and ways forward: Ministry of Health Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
FMOH. (2012). Guidelines for clinical and programmatic management of TB, Leprosy and TB/HIV in Ethiopia.
Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 5th edition.
FMOH. (2007). Implementation guideline for TB/HIV collaborative activities: Ministry of Health Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Jochei, A., Akolhatkar, T. (1982). Medical laboratory science theory and practice. New Delhi. Tata McGraw-Hill publishing company limited, 1st edition.
Joseph, S., Cavanaugh, S., Surbhi, M., Susan, M., et al. (2016). Comparative Yield of Different Diagnostic Tests for Tuberculosis among People Living with HIV. United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America, Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Center for Global Health Research, Kisumu, Western Kenya, March 29, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0152364
Michael, E., Murphy, N., Patrick, P., Phillips, J., Carl, M., et al. (2017). Spot sputum samples are at least as good as early morning samples for identifying Mycobacterium tuberculosis. BMC Medicine, 15(192), 2-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-017-0947-9
Tingyu, T., Fang L. (2017). Evaluation of Gene Xpert MTB/RIF for detecting Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a hospital in China. Journal of international medical research, 45(2), 10-18. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060517698618